Camp, Jump Rope, ANZAC, Chinese, Cross Country, NAPLAN, BUPA,GRIP, Gr 6 Transition and more….

Hi all, it’s me again, my turn to blog!

Where do I start??? It’s called the “Overcrowded Curriculum”. Pick a topic, any topic – Camp, Jump Rope, ANZAC, Chinese, Cross Country, NAPLAN, BUPA, Gr 6 transition, GRIP Leadership conference and Buddy program. Does this sound good to fit in a term??? Well CORRECTION….. try first week back after camp. All this happened in the second week of school ( and I don’t have China too, like Kate!!)

I am feeling a little bit under the pump, I think it’s called drowning!

I have felt like I can’t get any work done because of interruptions…. hopefully this will pass and things will settle down!

All these things are great and all have a place in our program but at what cost?

What do you think?

I was pleased with my kid’s end of term self reflections on the Daily 5. They wrote some really meaningful and insightful comments that reflected an awareness of their own learning. I’m really enjoying the Daily 5…. so watch this space. How is everyone else going with it??

4 thoughts on “Camp, Jump Rope, ANZAC, Chinese, Cross Country, NAPLAN, BUPA,GRIP, Gr 6 Transition and more….

1. It’s all hard to keep up with isn’t it? You’re not drowning, you’re just trying to do it all to perfection. Sometimes, the perfection needs to step aside, sometimes we just need to make it fit….and….not feel guilty that it’s not perfect! We are constantly prioritizing and working out the best way to make everything fit, it’s overwhelming at times- but somehow Jan, we get it done….we always do.
    There was a student teacher in there too, watching it all, taking it all in his stride. I felt terrible for him, having a week like that, what a learning curve! I sure welcomed him to the “real” world of teaching. I have always thought ‘flexibility’ is one of the most important attributes a teacher can have. Thinking on your feet and being ready to change on a whim is what it’s all about. I think I thrive on that a bit, you certainly can’t call our job boring!
    Oh and by the way, you may have forgotten “actual teaching” in that first week too! 🙂
    Keep afloat, Partner!

2. This is a very interesting topic Jan. I wonder if NAPLAN wasnt around the corner if we would be having this discussion? All the activities your children participated in are no less important than other learning. At times like this we tend to lose sight of this and think if we are not standing out the front teaching the students aren’t learning. For some students the chance to experience (just an example) the ANZAC service, maybe more life changing and have a real impact on them, than learning their words for the week.
    Having said that the feeling that you can’t get into any deeper learning due to interruptions can be frustrating. I have the same with reading recovery which depends on yesterday for today and tomorrow from today. So when a day is missed more than one day is missed. There is a roll on effect from lesson to lesson.
    My ICT can be very hard if I miss a class as the fortnightly lesson then becomes a monthly lesson. Will the students remember what we did a month ago or be able to lay their hands on the work?
    So what can we do?
    1)Timetabling of events needs some priorities drawn up and stuck to as much as possible.
    2)The value of the other activities needs to be considered when planning them, not for activities sake. Why?
    3) Support each other so everyone can teach for a fair time, which may mean some swapping of the timetable at times.
    4) Hang in there and swim.
    Thanks Jan for your honest post.

3. Yes Jan,
    You are right – all these activities have a place in our crowded curriculum. Some we have no input into over the choice of date such as GRIP leadership and ANZAC Day but are extremely valuable learning experiences for students. We have worked hard over the last few years to build and source quality opportunities for the students who excel, for the students who show leadership skills and I for one are very keen for this to continue. I believe most weeks the saying that goes…’10% of our students take up 90% of our time so I am so proud of the fact that Epsom invests time and opportunities in the 90% of the students that are focussed on their learning, making strong choices and contributing to the community as global citizens. All this however does not alleviate that feeling of treading water, swimming or just trying to keep up in those super busy, super exciting weeks but I know something else that might……a glass of bubbles on the Friday night when the week is done and dusted.
    Cheers,
    Gill