Jan’s Jottings …. Here we go!

Hi all and welcome to my jottings!

Having read my colleagues thoughts on the Daily 5 I’d like to add some reflections of my own. As I said in my reply…. Wow, I loved reading the thoughts and reflections and identified with so much. It is an exciting time in our Upper School unit right now. We are all introducing The Daily 5 program into our literacy component thanks to Sue who is delivering,teaching and guiding us. Added to this we have the benefit of the lower school staff who implemented The Daily 5 last year. Their experiences and willingness to share with us their ideas and what worked for them has been extremely helpful. “Baby steps” and very structured has been my approach so far – and I’m happy with where I’m at. My focus has been on reading and writing. Sitting back and observing has been very valuable. I think the most powerful outcome so far is watching children become aware of their own reading behaviours. They are  starting to identify and articulate what they do well and and what they need to change to bring about a shift in their reading success.
Choosing “good fit” books is vital and for some children this is their problem.
This has been a focus of my observation and as the teacher defines who I need to work with closely. That’s enough for now but as I said in my reply…Bring it on, we are all energised and ready to roll with it. Yes, at times it’s a little scary and feel out of our comfort zone  but with Sue we are all learning together and loving it!

3 thoughts on “Jan’s Jottings …. Here we go!

1. Thanks for this post Jan. It is exciting to see everyone so enthusiastic about a new program. The kids can feel it too. Its great to be learning together and to be able to reflect together as we learn from each other as much as by ourselves. I’m looking forward to see what you find out next.
    Cheers from Jenny

2. I can feel your energy as I read your post which indicates the passion that must be in your classroom. I look forward to reading more.

3. Great read, Jan! It’s great to see that we’re all on the same page and enthusiastic about what we’re doing. It feels right!